Sunday 14 February 2016

SOTA - Mynydd Troed - GW/SW-009

Mynydd Troed - 609m, 4 points

Association: Wales Region: South Wales
Latitude: 51 57 21 N, Longitude: 3 12 54 W
Grid Reference: SO 166293, QTH Locator: IO81JW



Uncharacteristically, I chose a weekend day to do some SOTA activating. This of course meant that I probably wouldn't be alone on the hilltops!
And so it was. When I arrived at the parking spot on the coll between Mynydd Troed and Mynydd Llangorse, there was only a single parking spot left and there were already numerous people on the hillside.

I quickly grabbed the parking spot, booted up and started off for the summit of Mynydd Troed.
As I approached the summit of Mynydd Troed, I was surprised to see the unmistakable sight of an antenna sprouting above the trig point.
Who should be there but Mike, GW7HEM, working Vicky (M6BWA) for a S2S on 2 metres.
A brief introduction and I found a spot to quickly setup out of the wind under my tarp.

The Shack

I was just finishing off my first QSO (and S2S) when Mike departed for Mynydd Llangorse, where I sort of expected to see him later.
There was a fairly steady stream of walkers arriving and I was glad I'd not set up right by the trig point. Custom was brisk, and I soon had 51 QSO's in the logbook, including S2S with YU1WC/p on YU/ZS-078, Z35m/p on Z3/WM-046 and DL/HB9JOE/p on DM/BW-629.

Log


Having operated for an hour, I didn't bother with 30 meters but instead  packed up and headed onwards for Mynydd Llangorse.
The sun was out and it was a fantastic day.

Pen y Fan in the distance


Summary

http://www.on6zq.be/p/Log2Map/index.php?log=x6A5IhhVLbPqvpNrdIfGg05r3kI
Log2Map






No comments:

Post a Comment