Wednesday 10 February 2016

SOTA - Coity Mountain - GW/SW-012

Coity Mountain - 581m, 2 points

Association: Wales Region: South Wales
Latitude: 51 45 55 N, Longitude: 3 6 56 W
Grid Reference: SO 231080, QTH Locator: IO81KS



For a bit of a change, I decided to park today at the Railway station on the Pontypool and Blaenavon Railway, rather than the usual  Big Pit Museum car park.
This wasn't any closer to the trail head, but was slightly more convenient when moving on later in the day to the second summit.


I still had the horrible trek across the bog and brush to reach the access road up as far as the disused mine workings. Maybe someday I'll just walk the full length of this road rather than bush whacking!

The weather was fine with blue skies and a keen icy wind.

Posing by the reservoir

There was still snow on the upper flanks of the hillside, so I duly left a calling card for following activators.

Calling card - SOTA Fever.
 It didn't take long for the calls to roll in, once I had set up, with conditions being very good and an orderly pile ensued. 

Staying out of the wind
  A crackle on the 2 metre hand held, turned out to be Vicky, MW6BWA/p  on Waun Rydd - GW/SW-004. A quick call and I netted my one and only S2S for this activation.

Good views

Whilst Coity is a pretty uninspiring summit, it does command some reasonable views of the beacons on a clear day.


Log

Log2Map

Summary

With 61 QSOs in the log it was time to pack up and make my way to my second summit, Mynydd Carn-y-cefn, GW/SW-014

No comments:

Post a Comment