Tuesday 30 December 2014

SOTA - Great Rhos - GW/MW-002

Great Rhos - 660m, 4 points

Association: Wales  Region: Mid Wales
Latitude: 52 16 1 N, Longitude: 3 12 0 W
Grid Reference: SO 182639, QTH Locator: IO82JG


Trying to squeeze a final activation in before the end of the year, I decided on Great Rhos which would net me 7 points for the day.
Most of mid Wales had been snowed in over the last couple of days, but a thaw in the west meant that the main roads should be clear of snow.
And that is how I found it. A big thaw had set in and there were no issues getting to my usual parking spot opposite Haine's Mill on the A44 near New Radnor.



It's a 3 mile walk in with 1350' of ascent. The snow line was at about 600 metres but was easily manageable until the summit plateau, where there were deep drifts. I tried in vain to battle my way to the trig point, but was defeated by the deep snow and unknown terrain underfoot.


Ascending the track
I retreated to a convenient gate, well within the activation zone, which was both an ideal spot to mount  both the pole and set up my tarp as a wind break. Wind chill was well below zero in the keen wind although the air temperature was hovering around 3ºC

Convenient gate

Looking across the valley

The thaw really took hold

Stream alongside Haine's Mill


No live firing today.

Condx were pretty good with 42 QSOs in the bag including 2 Stateside.
Just one S2S this today with F6HBI/p on F/AM-415




A nice outing to end the day, and plenty of HNY wishes from the chasers!
Cold fingers however :-)


No comments:

Post a Comment