Thursday 21 February 2013

SOTA - Mynydd Llangorse - GW/SW-015

Mynydd Llangorse - 515m, 2 points

Association: Wales  Region: South Wales  
Latitude: 51 55 56 N, Longitude: 3 13 28 W
Grid Reference: SO 159267, QTH Locator: IO81JW


Summit cairn
The ascent of Mynydd Llangorse is somewhat easier than it's bigger partner, but I still worked up a good sweat regardless of the below freezing temperatures. After the climb there is a long flat summit plateau, and in keeping with tradition, I set out to find the true summit. After quite a bit of walking  you eventually come across the small cairn marking the spot. With no shelter or a convenient pole support I back tracked to where I'd spotted a few standing stones on an otherwise featureless plateau. These served two purposes, firstly a good place to anchor the pole and secondly somewhere to hunker down out of the very cold wind. I was soon set up and, pretty obviously, spotted on the Sotawatch. The usual chasers were waiting for me and a productive activation produced 52 QSOs and 17 DXCC. With the day drawing on, an increasingly chilly wind, I packed up and descended to the car, A good days activating and 12 points in the bag.

Convenient shack location

Frozen lake

Positively balmy - thermometer reads 4.5C in the sunshine and out of the wind!



No comments:

Post a Comment